BULAWAYO MEMORIES

Motor races - Kumalo/Heany (James McNeillie) & Breedon Everard Raceway

Kumalo/Heany Race track (James McNeillie)

The James McNeillie Circuit track with a length of 14 miles/3.316km, four curves and one hairpin was used in a clockwise direction. and built in the late 1950s, partly on a former airfield in Kumalo, with the start and finish straight with the eastern Spitzkehre located on the former airfield railway.

The Rhodesian Grand Prix 1961 to 1970 was held on the track with Formula 1 vehicles. The fastest lap of the four-time winner in 1970, John Love drove on a March-Cosworth Formula 1. In 1971, the James McNeillie Circuit was closed and the races were then held at the new Breedon Everard Raceway. Part of the terrain of the former route is now overbuilt.

The track was named after the politician and Bulawayo city councillor James McNeillie.


odd_kumalo_race_track_technical.pngodd_kumalo_heany_james_mcneillie_circuit.pngodd_heany_speed_roben_motors.JPG
odd_heany_speed_ainscough.PNGodd_heany_speed_select_motors.JPG

odd_heany_prophetg_86odd_heany_uglyspecial

odd_heany_car_spectatorsodd_heany_steve_mellett_mirage
odd_heany_parnell_3odd_heany_scamp_porter_renault
odd_heany_ednelsongt40odd_heany_minimarcos
odd_heany_speed_parnell.JPGodd_heany_speed_auto_auctions.JPG
odd_heany_speed_1967.pngodd_heany_speed_1968.pngodd_heany_speed_1969_gough_escort.png
odd_heany_speed_1969_gough_escort.pngodd_heany_speed_1969_ron_lupson.pngodd_heany_speed_kumalo.png
at_tk_races_johnlove.JPG

 Breedon Everard Raceway.

odds_race_track_Breedon_Everard_Raceway.png

The Breedon Everard Raceway is Zimbabwe's most famous racing circuit, set in a natural depression on the edge of the city of Bulawayo. Fast and with wide run-off areas, it became a popular stop for competitors on the Springbok Series, frequented by European cars and drivers, helping to establish its international reputation.

The circuit opened in December 1969 as a replacement for the Kumalo airfield track. Known by many as the Falls Road Circuit, the track measured 2.535 miles long and featured sweeping turns amid the sandy hills and pleasant surroundings that made up this part of the world.

The new track took its name in honour of British railway engineer Lieutenant-Colonel Henry Breedon Everard, who had been the general manager of Rhodesian Railways from 1958-63 and was also briefly acting President of the country on several occasions after the proclamation of the Republic of Rhodesia.