BULAWAYO MEMORIES

History

shanganipatrolmatabelewarsignwallofrememberence

 

   The city was founded by the Ndebele king, uMzilikazi kaMatshobana around 1840. In 1897, the new town of Bulawayo acquired the status of municipality,

  Col. Harry White became the first mayor, and in 1943, Bulawayo became a city. Bulawayo is also known as the 'City of Kings', 'Bullies', 'Skies', or 'Bulliesberg'.

  Bulawayo is the second largest city in Zimbabwe. The name Bulawayo comes from the Sindebele word KoBulawayo meaning 'a place where they are killed.'

  and is imported from Nguniland which is a place once occupied by the Khumalo people.  Bulawayo has long been and is still regarded as the second business

  capital of Zimbabwe after Harare and is home to the National Railways of Zimbabwe because of its strategic position near Botswana and South Africa.

  It is the nearest large city to Hwange National Park, Matopo National Park and Victoria Falls.

king_lobengulamzilikazi+lobengula