BULAWAYO MEMORIES

Gatooma

oc_gat_foun_stone_blue_dark.jpgoc_gat_foun_stone_blue_dark_light.jpgoc_gat_foundation_stone_B&W.JPG

The city of Kadoma was known as Gatooma until 1982. Gatooma was founded in the 1890s as a mining camp, and constituted under a village management board in 1907. The settlement was named after the nearby kraal of Chief Katuma,[8] who is represented on the town's coat of arms by the mountain bearing his name and the chief's badge of office.

The Specks Hotel was opened in 1907, and Jameson High School started the same year when Amelia Fitt, wife of the first mayor of Kadoma, started to give classes to the town children in her house.

In 1917 Gatooma Municipality was created. A public electricity supply was introduced in Kadoma in 1922.

The Grand Hotel opened in 1925 and had a sprung floor for dancing, the first such floor in Zimbabwe.





oc_gat_station_1912.JPGoc_gat_station_trolley.JPGoc_gat_hotel.JPG

oc_gat_1960_synagogue.JPGoc_gat_church.JPGoc_gat_school_children.JPG
oc_gat_main_street.JPG
oc_gat_town_hall.PNG