BULAWAYO MEMORIES

Salisbury

oc_sal_foundation_stone.jpgoc_sal_name_plate_light.jpg
Salisbury city was founded in 1890 by the Pioneer Column, a small military force of the British South Africa Company, and named Fort Salisbury after the British Prime Minister Lord Salisbury. Company administrators demarcated the city and ran it until Southern Rhodesia achieved responsible government in 1923. Salisbury was thereafter the seat of the Southern Rhodesian (later Rhodesian) government and, between 1953 and 1963, the capital of the Central African Federation.

The Pioneer Column, a military volunteer force of settlers organised by Cecil Rhodes, founded the city on 12 September 1890 as a fort. They originally named the city Fort Salisbury after The 3rd Marquess of Salisbury, then British Prime Minister, and it subsequently became known simply as Salisbury. The Salisbury Polo Club was formed in 1896. It was declared to be a municipality in 1897 and it became a city in 1935.




oc_sal_1894_market_town.JPGoc_sal_strachan&co.pngoc_sal_govt_offices.JPG
oc_sal_1896_first_hospital.JPGoc_sal_statue.JPG
oc_sal_1950_street.jpgoc_sal_1950s_airport.JPG
oc_sal_1960c_pearl_assurance.JPGoc_sal_anglican_cathedral.jpg
oc_sal_haddon&sly.jpgoc_sal_livingstone_house.jpgoc_sal_angwa.JPG
oc_sal_monomatapa.JPGoc_sal_monomatapa_sunset.JPGoc_sal_greatermans.JPG

oc_sal_stone_flower.jpgoc_sal_trees.JPG



 1927 William Bain, Grand Hotel & Prince Edward School
oc_sal_1927_william_bain.JPGoc_sal_1927_grand_hotel.JPG
oc_sal_1927_prince_edward.JPG


 1900's Commercial Hotel
oc_sal_ed_1900s_commercial_hotel.PNG