BULAWAYO MEMORIES

Umtali


Mutare (known as Umtali until 1983) is the fourth largest city in Zimbabwe, with an urban population of approximately 188,243 and rural population of approximately 260,567.[2] It is the capital of Manicaland province.

The area was the site of Chief Mutasa's kraal. In 1890 A. R. Coquhoun was given concessionary rights and Fort Umtali (the fort later became Mutare) was established between the Tsambe and Mutare Rivers. The word mutare originates from the word 'Utare' meaning iron (or possibly meaning gold). The name was probably given to the river as a result of gold being discovered in the Penhalonga valley through which the Mutare River runs.

In 1891 the location was moved to a site now known as Old Mutare, about 14 km north of the city centre. In 1896 the construction of the railway between Beira and Bulawayo led to the town being moved a third time so that it was closer to the railway line – compensation was paid by the British South Africa Company to the townspeople for the cost of moving. The town was proclaimed a municipality on 11 June 1914 and in 1971 it was granted city status. The name was officially changed from Umtali to Mutare in 1982.



 1954 Museum Construction
oc_umt_1954_museum_scaffolding.JPG
 Silver Oaks where museum exhibited its collection in 1957
oc_umt_1957_silver_oaks_museum_01.JPG
oc_umt_1957_silver_oaks_museum_02.PNGoc_umt_1957_silver_oaks_museum_03.PNG