BULAWAYO MEMORIES

Milton High School

Milton High School is a government all-boys high school located in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe. It was the first government all-boys school established in Bulawayo. It was founded in 1910 and is named after Sir William Milton, administrator of the British South Africa Company. The school's motto is Greek and derived from the Biblical excerpt from Corinthians, 1 Corinthians 16:13, written by St. Paul to Corinthians in the face of Roman imperialism, and the Authorized Version translates it as "Quit ye like men". Milton school's connection with St. John's (the original Milton) is perpetuated in the new church in Rhodes Street where the central light of a stained glass window in the east transept in memory of an old boy, Alfred Perry, depicts the school's crest and motto.

Milton School started life on 25 July 1910, named after Sir William Milton, however the buildings situated on Borrow Street Bulawayo, are now home to Milton Junior School. Milton and Eveline became the first state-maintained high schools in Rhodesia. Milton and Eveline were officially opened on the same day by Sir William Milton, his wife Lady Eveline, Sir Charles Coghlan and the Mayor and Town Council.


sch_sen_ms_snrsign.bmpsch_sen_ms_sign_blue.jpgsch_sen_ms_entrance_mhs_gk.jpg
sch_sen_ms_ent.jpgsch_sen_ms_6thentrance.bmpsch_sen_ms_small_school_bus.png
sch_sen_ms_buslogo.jpgsch_sen_ms_morgan_sign.jpg
sch_sen_ms_scienceclass.bmpsch_sen_ms_french_language_classes.jpgsch_sen_ms_new_sign.jpg
sch_sen_ms_charter_headmaster_entrance.jpgsch_sen_ms_pioneer.jpgsch_sen_ms_rugbyfields.jpg
sch_sen_ms_rugby_posts.jpgsch_sen_ms_rugby_stands.jpgsch_sen_ms_stands.jpg
sch_sen_ms_soccer_field.jpgsch_sen_ms_trench.jpgsch_sen_ms_broken_bench.jpg
sch_sen_ms_tennis_courts.jpgsch_sen_ms_tennis_wall.jpgsch_sen_ms_old_cricket_nets.jpg
sch_sen_ms_swimming_pool_no_wall.jpgsch_sen_ms_tuck_shop.jpgsch_sen_ms_pool_trash.jpg
sch_sen_ms_broken_roof.jpgsch_sen_ms_change_rooms.jpgsch_sen_ms_pool_roof.jpg
sch_sen_ms_broken_urinal.jpgsch_sen_ms_toilet.jpgsch_sen_ms_floor.jpg
sch_sen_ms_science_lab.jpgsch_sen_ms_sixth_form_lab.jpgsch_sen_ms_locker.jpg
sch_sen_ms_class_chairs.jpgsch_sen_ms_class_corner.jpgsch_sen_ms_grafitte.jpg
sch_sen_ms_quad_gate.jpg

It was in September 1927 that some 300 boys and staff moved to Milton's present home, which is situated between the suburbs and the racecourse. However it wasn't until 1 June 1928 that the School was formally opened by Sir John Chancellor as "The Milton School". The school's colours are plumbago (dark grey) and Oxford blue with the school crest based on an early version of the City of Bulawayo's crest, whereas the motto is Greek and translates as "Quit ye like men". The school was initially divided into four houses; Charter (boarders), Pioneer (boarders), North Town and South Town, however due to the dominance of the "boarders" four new houses were introduced in 1938, they were; Birchenough, Borrow, Fairbridge and Heany.

At the start of 1950 Milton had 420 boys, but by the end of 1951 this figure rose to 581 creating a "housing crisis", two classrooms were built in 12 days along with two marquees which were erected on the open space between the main block and the dining hall. In 1953, after ten years of planning and fund raising (£5000 from State Lotteries and £1000 from the Baron family as a memorial to their father), Milton's swimming pool was opened at a cost of £17,500

In 1954 there were 644 pupils, by 1957 this figure had risen to over 700, a year later there were in excess of 900. With over 200 boys per house four new games houses were launched; Brady, Chancellor, Malvern and Rhodes.

In 1961 Milton had 1150 boys, which made it the largest school in the then Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland. Malvern and Brady Houses were dropped and the boarding houses of Charter and Pioneer were re-established once again. 1961 also saw the completion of the new economics block, commerce department with a staff room, a double storey administration block and the official opening of the Department of Sixth Form Studies by the Minister of Education D.B.Goldberg.

The school's debate club has won many public speaking and debate competitions.It has produced many great speakers. The rugby team is said to be the greatest team in the country by many magazines.

During 1962 rooms were built to house the woodwork shop, metalwork shop, technical drawing office, storerooms and construction of locking cycle sheds, and a rifle range, while stands were erected on the playing fields. The Old Miltonians were relocated into new premises just across Third Street from Milton High School. Funds were raised to enable the first part of a new clubhouse to be built in 1964 and by 1970 there were facilities for rugby, hockey, cricket, basketball, baseball, bowling and tennis.

The Milton Address, an annual address delivered to the school, began in 1972 to celebrate the anniversary of the school's founding.

The first Milton Address was delivered by Sir Henry MacDonald. Following speakers included the Anglican Bishop of Matabeleland Robert Mercer, economist Tony Hawkins, Mayor of Bulawayo Mike Constandinos, Senator David Coltart. The 75th anniversary address was given by former Prime Minister of Southern Rhodesia Sir Garfield Todd. Subsequent addresses were delivered by notable figures including former President of Zimbabwe Canaan Banana, Anglican Dean of Bulawayo Robin Ewbank, British High Commissioner Sir Ramsay Mellhuish, writer Yvonne Vera, Vice Chancellor of Solusi University Norman Maphosa, and AIDs researcher Riita Dlodlo.